Campus Box 1125
Professor Carpenter conducts research on the clinical psychology of aging. His research focuses on family relationships in late life, with a particular emphasis on collaborative family communication and decision-making. Other research activities focus on older patient-physician interactions, knowledge about Alzheimer's disease, and mental health issues at the end of life.
- Gooblar, J., Carpenter, B.D., Coats, M.A., Morris, J.C., & Snider, B.J. (In press). The influence of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) biomarkers on clinical dementia evaluations. Alzheimer's & Dementia. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jalz.2014.04.517
- Carpenter, B.D. (2015). Geropsychological practice with people near the end of life. In P.A. Lichtenberg & B.T. Mast (Eds.), Handbook of professional geropsychology. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Kozlov, E., Carpenter, B.D., Thorsten, M., Heiland, M., & Agarwal, A. (2014). Palliative care consultation trajectories. American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Medicine, 31, 460-464. doi: 10.1177/1049909113491455
- Sakai, E.Y., & Carpenter, B.D. (2012). “What’s wrong with grandma?”: Depictions of Alzheimer’s disease in children’s storybooks. American Journal of Alzheimer's Disease and Other Dementias, 27, 584-591. doi:10.1177/1533317512459796
- Zaleta, A.K., Carpenter, B.D., Porensky, E.K., Xiong, C., & Morris, J.C. (2012). Agreement about diagnosis among patients, companions, and professionals following a dementia evaluation. Alzheimer’s Disease and Associated Disorders, 26, 232-237. doi:10.1097/WAD.0b013e3182351c04
- Carpenter, B.D., & Mulligan, E.A. (2010). Assessment with late-life families: Issues and instruments. In P. Lichtenberg (Ed.), Handbook of assessment in clinical gerontology (2nd ed.) (pp. 273-306). San Diego: Elsevier.
- Carpenter, B. D., Balsis, S., Otilingam, P. G., Hanson, P. K., & Gatz, M. (2009). The Alzheimer's Disease Knowledge Scale: Development and psychometric properties. The Gerontologist, 49, 236-247.
- Carpenter, B. D., Xiong, C, Porensky, E. K., Lee, M. M., Brown, P. J., Coats, M., Johnson, D., & Morris, J. C. (2008). Reaction to a dementia diagnosis in individuals with Alzheimer's disease and mild cognitive impairment. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 56, 405-412.
- Social Gerentology
- Introduction to Psychology
- Clinical Psychology of Aging
- Living, Dying, & Death