Campus Box 1125
Professor McDaniel conducts research in the general area of human learning and memory. His most significant lines of work encompass several areas: prospective memory, encoding processes in enhancing memory, retrieval processes and mnemonic effects of retrieval, functional and intervening concept learning, and aging and memory. One unifying theme in this research is the investigation of factors and processes that lead to memory and learning failures. In much of this work, he has extended his theories and investigations to educationally relevant paradigms.
- Bugg, J. M., & McDaniel, M. A. (in press). Selective benefits of question self-generation and answering for remembering expository text. Journal of Educational Psychology.
- Thomas, R., & McDaniel, M. A. (in press). Testing and feedback effects on front-end control over later retrieval. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition.
- McDaniel, M. A. (2012). Put the SPRINT in knowledge training: Training with SPacing, Retrieval, and INTerleaving. In A. F. Healy, & L. E. Bourne, Jr. (Eds.), Training Cognition: Optimizing Efficiency, Durability, and Generalizability. Psychology Press.
- McDaniel, M. A., Wildman, K. M., & Anderson, J. L. (2012). Using quizzes to enhance summative-assessment performance in a web-based class: An experimental study. Journal of Applied Research in Memory and Cognition, 1, 18-26.
- McDaniel, M. A., Agarwal, P. K., Huelser, B. J., McDermott, K. B., & Roediger, H. L. , III. (2011). Test-enhanced learning in a middle school science classroom: The effects of quiz frequency and placement. Journal of Educational Psychology, 103, 399-414. doi.10.1037/a0021782.
- McDaniel, M. A., & Einstein, G. O. (2011) The neuropsychology of prospective memory innormal aging: A componential approach. Neuropsychologia, 49, 2147-2155.
- McDaniel, M. A., Shelton, J. T., Breneiser, J., Moynan, S., & Balota, D. (2011). Focal and nonfocal prospective memory performance in very mild dementia: A signature decline. Neuropsychology, 25, 387-396.
- McDaniel, M. A., & Scullin, M. K. (2010). Implementation intention encoding does not automatize prospective memory responding. Memory & Cognition, 221-232.
- Scullin, M. K., McDaniel, M. A., & Einstein, G. O. (2010). Control of cost in prospective memory: Evidence for spontaneous retrieval processes. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition, 36, 190-203.
- McDaniel, M. A., Dimperio, E., Griego, J. A., & Busemeyer, J. R. (2009). Predicting transfer performance: A comparison of competing function learning models. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition, 35, 173-195.
- McDaniel, M. A., Howard, D. C., & Einstein, G. O. (2009). The read-recite-review study strategy: Effective and portable. Psychological Science, 20, 516-522.
- Advanced Seminar in Cognitive Psychology: Categorization
Applying Cognition to Education